Thenmaradchi zone wishes to improve the English proficiency of secondary school teachers in its schools and to update their teaching skills with current teaching methodologies and techniques. Doing so will give schoolchildren in this zone access to higher quality teaching and models of English.
TDA sponsored a British Council run English Tearsh’ Training program to increase teachers’ confidence in speaking and using English in the classroom. The improvement expected in the context of teaching English which will provide participants with techniques and activities focused on a learner-centred classroom.
25 Thenmaradchi based English teachers were selected in a fair way with the objective of:
- identifying their English proficiency level and
- providing a selected group of English teachers with 25 hours of English for Teaching at the appropriate level
The training programme focused on:
- increasing participants’ confidence in using spoken English
- increasing participants’ use of English in their classrooms, and
- supporting participants in using learner-centred teaching approaches.